Published 26th July 2021
Dementia Adventure have free online training specifically for carers of someone living with dementia available.
There are three topics:
Thinking differently about dementia (2 hours)
This is the initial core training. It includes:
- Understanding dementia and the common symptoms
- How dementia affects the senses, communication and behaviour
- The importance of continuing to ‘see’ the person (and not the condition)
- Practical ways to connect with a person with dementia
- Strategies to overcome communication barriers
- Solutions for adapting the environment.
- The benefits of a connection with nature and the outdoors
Mood and motivation (1.5 hours)
This follows on from the core session and includes:
- The benefits of nature and the outdoors
- Considering the ‘lived experience’, by hearing tips from people living with dementia
- Why a person may have low mood
- Strategies to inspire
- Working together
- Group discussion
Nature is calling online drop-in sessions
- Understanding the health and wellbeing benefits of nature.
- Overcoming the mental and physical barriers to accessing the outdoors.
- Offering practical guidance to build your confidence and on planning your outing.
For full details and dates see https://dementiaadventure.co.uk/what-we-do/training-and-consultancy/dementia-skills-sessions/