Social care is means tested so most people have to pay something towards the care that they receive. Those who have income and savings over a certain threshold will pay the full cost.

If the person is receiving care or services whilst at home, the value of the house where they live will not be taken into account when working out how much they have to pay. Neither would the value of the house be counted if they went for a temporary stay in residential care.

However, if they move into a care home on a permanent basis, their home will be included along with income and savings in the means test. The exception is if certain other people are still living there. They will be expected to pay the care home fees in full until their total assets reduce to a certain level.

If they have substantial and ongoing care needs and have been assessed as having a primary health care need they may be eligible for NHS Continuing Health Care funding. This would mean that all of the care costs, either at home or in a residential setting, will be paid for by the NHS.

Norfolk County Council can provide services to support you and the person you care for. To find out whether you, or they, are eligible for Council services you can ask for a free Carer’s Assessment and Care Needs Assessment.

Following the assessment, the Council may decide that you are eligible for support such as a Direct Payment. This can be spent on the things that make caring easier, for example: one-off items, such as household aids, leisure activities to reduce stress or practical support.

It is important to understand the rules about paying for care and to consider getting some independent financial advice. Any choices you or the person you care for make could have far reaching implications.

To discuss how to access an assessment, call our Advice line on 0800 083 1148.