Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit paid to a disabled person or someone with a long term illness or health condition (physical or mental), aged 16 – over retirement age.  It can be spent however the person you care for chooses.  PIP is slowly replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA).  If you or the person you care for are not already getting DLA then you/they can claim for PIP.  If you or the person you care for are claiming DLA then at some point you/they will be moved onto PIP.

Personal Independence Payment can be paid regardless of a person’s income, savings or National Insurance record and is a tax free benefit.  If you are a carer who has care needs, you can claim PIP and this will not affect your Carer’s Allowance.

Getting PIP does not reduce other benefits, it may even increase them. Claiming PIP may qualify a carer to certain benefits (such as Carers Allowance).  You or the person you care for may also be able to get extra help with council tax.

Anyone with a disability or long term illness/health condition may be able to claim.  They will be assessed on how their condition affects them, rather than the condition itself.  There are two parts (mobility and daily living) both paid at two rates – standard and enhanced.

The award will be regularly reviewed to make sure the person you are caring for is getting the right support.

You can find out more or apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) by calling 0800 121 4600 or go to

Download the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) factsheet from CarersUK here.